Saturday, June 10, 2006

not so vain repetitions

There is still a debate in the church today over the use of praise songs vs hymns - which I have no desire to enter or even talk about, except to say that my church uses both, so the little foster girls who live with us have heard a lot of praise songs in the five months they have been with us. They do seem to enjoy the praise songs more than the hymns - probably beacuse they are accompanied by a band whereas the poor old hymns only get the piano, because they are easier to dance to, and because the repetitive lyrics for which they are criticized are easier for them to understand and tend to stick in their little heads more than the glorious theology of the hymns. Don't get me wrong, I love the hymns. The older the better, as far as I'm concerned. But I can also appreciate (most) of the praise songs as well.

So, the little girls have learned a few words of Christian lingo living in our home, and they have also, apparently, picked up on the fact that we appreciate "Christian stuff." In their desire to fit in and be part of the family they have gradually changed the ditties they sing around the house from things like "oops, I did it again," to words and phrases (usually just words) culled from the praise songs they hear at church. Someone who had a mind to could easily use this as a basis for criticism of the vain repetitions of the modern praise song. I, however, am thrilled to hear their baby voices mouthing attempts at praise even though they clearly have no idea what they are saying. Somehow I can't imagine these untaught youngsters attempting their own version of "How Firm a Foundation" or "A Mighty Fortress is Our God."

So here are a few snippets of "Little Girls Praise Songs", recorded live and unedited this Saturday morning.

I'm a home with you
I'll die for you
My heart says you die for me

I will be for Jesus Christ
You will save me and my life

You will bower
You will say clap clap
Every single time
If I will say your name
Can I get an "Amen"??


No comments: