Tuesday, April 08, 2014

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.

I am not sure how many people died of Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma in 2013 - I know of 13, but I am sure there were more. I have ACC, but I had a quiet year in 2013 - scans in April and then again in October showed no evidence of progressive disease, but I have no idea what 2014 will hold.  This cancer is unpredictable, described in the medical literature as relatively indolent but relentless. Very few people are diagnosed with ACC - only about 1200 a year.  It is on the list of the NIH Office of Rare Disease Research, which makes it an orphan disease. Most people have never heard of the ORDR.  I know I had not.

Over lunch we traded stories, compared treatment options and choices, evaluated doctors and hospitals, talked about how we coped with a cancer that is so uncommon most doctors have never heard of it, that is so unpredictable that statistics are meaningless. One couple recounted how they had found a research lab that sold them forty mice on which to grow the husband's particular tumor.  Since no chemotherapy agent has been found that works for more than 30% of ACC patients who take i,t patients have their own tumors mapped to try to find which gene mutations they possess.  While Matt was in the OR having his metastatic lung tumors biopsied, the unfortunate mice were readied at the lab.  A friend carried the tissue samples across New York City to the lab in an insulated lunch box so the mice could be infected while the tissue was fresh.  It's a great story so far.  We all wish it would have a happy ending but we know it's not a fairy tale.


The meeting broke up around 3.  Most people there were planning to attend a fundraising gala that evening to support research for a cure.  We attended last year when the adolescent band hired to entertain the crowd sang "Only the Good Die Young."  I'm sure they had no idea what they were saying.  We had to get home that evening so we skipped the party this year. On the way home I attempted to parse my feelings about the day.  Although the gathering showcased the thing that keeps me awake at night, it also left me feeling comforted and warmed.  I felt less alone with my secret than I often do.  I felt compassion for others who face the same threat I do, most of them cheerfully and bravely.  I was reminded that my own private struggle is not as solitary as I imagine it to be, that I am not an island but part of a continent.  


No comments: