Friday, January 15, 2010

Is anybody still out there?

It's been a long time since I wrote anything. I'm not sure why. I would like to become a more disciplined writer, writing whether I feel like it or not, but I'm clearly not there. For some reason my muse departed last year and hasn't been seen in quite a while.

I plan to start writing again, though perhaps in a different vein. I've chosen a new template color to mark this new episode. Kevin and I are in the last stages of a homestudy in preparation to adopt a sibling group from Ethiopia. Adoption is something we've talked and prayed about for years, but never seemed to be in the right place for, either because of our finances or our life situation. Finally we feel like we have a green light. Strangely, it comes when we have three kids in college. Our finances are still stretched very tight, and our kids have had to give up the private college educations we dreamed about for years - they are at UNH and River Valley Community College, not Wheaton or Boston College. But God has given us the money to begin the process, and we finally have some free bedroom space in the house!

So, I want to chronicle the process as we walk through it, and keep anyone who cares to read about it informed. I actually began my blogging today by trying to add a Paypal button to my sidebar so anyone who cared a lot could help with the cost of bringing two or three orphans to our waiting home, but I was not able to make it work. I had mixed feelings about asking for financial help, anyway, so maybe I'll pursue that elusive button, and maybe I won't!

2 comments:

Every time it rains she just feels a lot better... said...

I'm so excited to see that you're blogging again! I always love getting to read your thoughts since I can't go for a walk with you and hear them.

But you should know, I like UNH. I'm pretty happy to be here instead of Wheaton. (:

Jim Horner said...

It seems a shame that you don't write more often.

I have enjoyed reading back through your blog. From poetry, family fun and nonsense to deep thoughts and serious public matters. You are an intersting person with an interesting life. Melville wrote "We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads..." It seems you are able to share your feelings and thoughs in a meaningful way

Think back to the times you spent writing previous entries and try to remember the satisfaction you felt as you clicked to publish them. Satisfaction with setting your mind to a topic and following through. Satisfaction at sharing your thoughts and satisfaction at knowing others are interested enough to read what you've shared

Your family and friends may be thousands of miles away so each blog posting is a letter home, wherever that is, and it's also a letter about home, wherever that might be.

Take care