Friday, November 16, 2007

Dear Santa

I ve heard it said that no two children ever have the same parents. I know that is true when I have conversations with my adult siblings; sometimes when I discuss my mother with my brother I come away thinking we were talking about two completely different people. He and I are next to each other in age - only 14 months apart - both middle children in a family of four, but we know our mother in completely different ways. This must be true for my own children, as well.

Even more obvious in a large family is the truth that no two children have the same childhood. I look at my six year old now, and remember life in our home when my eldest, or second or third was six, and realize how different my children's experiences are! My fifteen year old is acutely aware of this, remembering far more spankings than he sees administered; I am acutely aware of it when I realize that regular bedtimes, rigorously monitored movie watching, long, messy craft projects at the kitchen table and hours of reading aloud every day are things of the past. My youngest daughter's life is full of teenagers and ipods and almost-adult conversation at the dinner table. She lives in a large, Asian city instead of an old New England farmhouse with a brook and climbing trees; she does not get to listen to Winnie the Pooh audio CDs on long car rides, but endures hours of U2, Bob Marley and Counting Crows.

The shape of her childhood - youngest of seven - is clearly reflected in her carefully written Christmas list which appeared on the refrigerator two days ago. I'll reproduce it here, and let it speak for itself.

1. Floaty Canoe

2. Roller skates

3. A Blanket

4. Slippers

5. Candy

6. Squirt Gun

7. A Surfer Suit

8. Iguana

9. Violin Lessons

10. Hair Spray - the DVD

11. Henna

12. Sling Shot

13. Surf Board

14. Cell Phone

15. Stationery

16. Laptop

17. Rabbit

18. Littlest Pet Shops

19. Littlest Pet Shop House

20. Baseball Hat

21. Dress Ups

22. Night Light

23. Frisby

24. Incense

25. Wallet

26. Marbles

27. Sleeping bag

28. Hot Weels cars

No comments: