Thursday, March 29, 2007

Prove It

Kids say it often - "Prove it!" Or they ask scornfully, "What have you got to prove? " In my case the answer is everything.

Scripture talks about the proof of our faith, being more precious than gold, even though tried by fire. Most trials come unbidden like tragic accidents, physical illness, the horrors of war, the rapes of Burmese women and girls, the attacks on Somali believers, the beating of Indian believers , the imprisonment of Chinese pastors. No one asks for them, though they may receive the grace to welcome them as friends like the Apostle Paul did.

What about we soft Americans? How do I prove that I don't just love God for what He has given me - which is staggering - as Satan accused Job of doing. I know that death is the final proving ground for the Christian unless he's taken suddenly, but short of my dying moments, how do I know if I really believe the words I've spoken so often, both inside my heart and through my lips. How do I know that don't love father and mother (or sons and daughters and husband) more than Christ, and so become unworthy of Him? Jesus Himself made the test of true repentance and belief, for the rich young ruler at least, selling all one has and giving it to the poor. He said the ones whom His father would ultimately recognize as His own were the ones who had given food to the hungry, drink to the thirsty, shelter to the homeless, clothing to the naked, comfort to those in prison.

Wasn't He in essence saying, "Prove it"??

Am I going to go to my grave remembered as a nice woman who raised a happy, healthy family - no small accomplishment in this day and age - but still wondering if I have done "no more than sinners do" - loved those who love me.

We denigrate or question the wisdom of people who take outlandish, radical actions "just to prove something," but is that necessarily foolish? How else can you know? You can spend your life waiting for the extraordinary moment to arise - the child asleep in the burning building you happen to be passing, or the person falling through thin ice - or you can become an Army Ranger or a rescue swimmer, or sell all you have and give it to the poor, or choose to share the sufferings of the poor and oppressed of the earth, or take up your cross which is heavy and hurts to carry and may actually cause you to fall under its weight like our Lord's did.

These days I keep seeing in my head the classic bully scene from a clicheed movie where the tough guy asks, "Hey kid, you got something to prove?"

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do.

No comments: